Thursday, February 12, 2015

Slovenia

Postcard from the alpine resort of Bled, in northern Slovenia. In the centre of Lake Bled is a small island, home to the Assumption of Mary Pilgrimage Church. Human traces from prehistory have been found on the island and before the church was built there was a temple consecrated to Živa, the Slavic goddess of love and fertility.

Thank you and hvala to my Mum for sending this first Slovenia card in my collection when she was on holiday there.

Stamp is from a 2007 set of 17 on flowers of Slovenia. Pictured here is Cerastium dinaricum, a rare species of chickweed found only in one 50km2 site in the Slovenian mountains.

2 comments:

  1. I was in Slovenia 2 weeks ago and I love this country! It is a very nice card. I hope I will receive more cards from there in future.
    Greetings from Poland:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Romanek! Thanks for checking out my blog. :-)

      Delete